Karnıyarık (lit. 'riven belly' in Turkish) is a dish found in Turkish cuisine consisting of eggplant stuffed with a mix of sautéed chopped onions, garlic, black pepper, tomatoes, optional green pepper, parsley and ground meat.
6 small aubergines (if large, you can cut them in half)
3 long green peppers, halved lengthwise after frying
3 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 medium onions, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 long green peppers
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Oil, salt, pepper, red pepper
200 g ground beef
100 ml hot water
For the sauce;
1 tablespoon tomato paste
200 ml of hot water
1. Peel the aubergines in stripes lengthwise (see photos below) and soak them in salt water for app. 30 minutes.
2. Then drain and rinse thoroughly, pat dry with paper towel and fry in oil.
3. Fry all 3 peppers in the same oil. Then fry the onions in the same pan, add the minced meat, fry for a while, then add peppers and garlic and fry for an additional 2 minutes or so.
4. Add tomatoes, salt and spices. Stir, add 200 ml hot water, then cook 5 minutes.
5. Place the aubergines in an oven dish by first cutting through the middle lengthwise (make sure not to cut all the way through). Press open carefully to make room for the filling. Add the filling to the ''pockets''.
6. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and the fried whole peppers in half lengthwise and place on top of filled aubergines.
7.In a separate bowl, mix and blend 1 spoon of tomato paste in 1 glass of hot water and pour between the eggplants. Do not pour directly on top of aubergines.
8. Then put it in the oven that you have pre-heated to 170 degrees C and cook for 20-25 minutes.
Serve with rice and green salad.
Source: Nefis Yemek Tarifleri, Wikipedia